Saturday, April 25, 2009

First haircut and Goodbye old "me"!

It was time... I've tried so long not to do it but Sean finally convinced me that it had to be done... My boy's first haircut! I thought we were going to have a major struggle but no, we placed him in his highchair in front of the TV watching Baby Einstein, a bottle of water and it was done in less than 10 min!!!! Here's the result...

Before

After

Ok, so I'm not a qualified hairdresser, as you can see... At least he's happy!

Well, our weekend is over and it's "Monday" and back to "work", actually it doesn't really work like that being a SAHM does it... weekend or no weekend we're still "on duty" aren't we!? I find this subject rather intriguing. Before I became a mother I envied mothers who was able to be "at home" all the time and "do what ever they wanted all day" (... if someone came up to me a told me just that, I think I'd punch them right there and then!) Don't take me wrong, I do feel privileged to be able to be home with my children and all that, BUT I miss "me"... You know, the intelligent, -10 postpreg kg woman who went to work, used her brain in intelligent matters... well, obviously that depends on how you define intelligence but I'm talking, numbers (not just 1-5..), meetings (not the ones you have under a sheet in the closet) business lunches (not the ones where food is all over the floor and you need to threaten fellow eaters with what could happen if they don't eat up...) I miss ME!!! I love my children to death and wouldn't change a thing but where am "I"!? Will "I"ever return? I doubt it, actually I know that "I", as I know it, is gone and "Me now" need to get on with it - but first I think i need to have a "Goodbye do" and a "Welcome do" to take farewell of old "Me" and celebrate new "Me" (though I wish the +10 postpreg kg would leave at the "Goodbye do"...) Anyway I'll stop rambling now. Anyone with a suggestion for a good Goodbye and Welcome do? May be there is like a "mothers ritual" I haven't heard of. Any suggestions - send them my way!

Have a nice day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I will try to explain what I think with my poor english... so according to me, women have many lifes and maybe it's time for you to stay at home because your children are very young, but when they grow up, you could refind "you", take time for you, etc... I have to work, but I would like to enjoy this time with my two sons, despite I am not a "natural born housewife"... but I mean, life is long, and I will do more things for myself when they'll be teenagers! For example, sport that I can't do for the moment because my last son is only 18 months!!
I don't speak about kilos, because chocolate help me to support my long day and my tiredness!
Another think :life at home is not so unbearable thanks to the web, our moms were not so lucky!!
But I am not objective : I have enough of my job, so I think I would think differently if I were a super business women with great job and money with!!! LOL

See a good thing : your blog is wonderful, your layouts as well ; would you have the time to do so much things if you'd work?

See you

Helen said...

great blog entry. I remember Hugh's first hair cut - ekk - sat on DH lap and bawled! Then we found a barber that sat them up high and cut while they watched tv - brilliant!

As to your dilemma - welcome to the club! I have been home for nine years this year and yes, it it tough. I have discovered I am quite a selfish person and crave my time. *sigh * You really begin to wonder who you were, are and will be. TG for the internet and sharing etc. for this is my true outlet. Your words could have been mine. So I have no answers - sorry. We love our kids, would do anything for them and the old us has well and truly gone. But we are richer for it. I think the key is balance....and remember, happy Mum makes for happy house. What may seem as selfishness is in fact sanity savers!

Okay...I will shut up now.

Just know you are not alone.

Leah said...

I can really relate to this post! I stayed home for six years and then recently went back to work part time. It wasn't an ideal job, but it was a time for me to be me and have "adult" conversation. Then I discovered I was pregnant again and really struggled with having to "start all over again"

We struggle to maintain our identities in being a Mom. I wish I could find that balance, but I haven't just yet. I'm starting to realize that this is what I'm supposed to do right now, and if I worked full time, I know I would wish to be at home!

Take care!

Unknown said...

too funny! I went through this in oct. I turned 34 and thought, where am I? and the thing is all i ever wanted to be was a wife and mother. but then I realized how much I missed 'things' you know! I laughed out loud when yousaid meeting under a sheet in the closet! LOL!!!!!!!
so you know what I did? I joined a belly dancing class, at the instigation of another, and I LOVE it! I also joined bootcamp, which I am loving. it's at 5:30 am to 7, so it interferes with nothing!!!!!

I find I am learning so much and as embarrassing as it is, I had lost a lot of my social skills! ha!

oh and Justin's first haircut, I took him to beaners, they have cars and tv's and all, and he took a swing at the hairdresser! hahaha
she did not think it was funny. I thought, grow up! he's only 1! heehee

anyway, great post Maria!!!!